This recipe is one of those that really confuse the heck out of folks, as the ingredients separately taste very distinctive, but when mixed together give that same flavor and mouth-feel as marinara sauce. Don’t knock it til you try it!
As for some of the ‘more exotic’ ingredients, these are in my pantry at all times as a sub for the foods I can’t have.
- sauce pan
- stovetop burner
- 1 15 oz can of pears with juice. with juice
- 1 15 oz can red beets drained
- 1 15 oz can yams drained
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree NOT pie filling!
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp grated horseradish
- 1 tsp minced lemon grass
- 1 tsp minced fennel bulb
- 1/2 tsp truffle zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp annato powder
- 1 tsp capers and juice blended
- Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth!
- Pour into a pot on low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Freeze in plastic baggies laid flat. When you want to use it, just thaw it in the fridge.