This is a very versatile Italian sausage which can be used in many different ways. You can take it from mild to hot and it’s very easy to use. If using ground turkey, you’ll have to coat your skillet with a little grease or oil before cooking as it has very little fat and will stick to skillet.
NAG-free Italian Sausage
- 3 pounds ground pork chicken, or turkey
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon of ground mace
- 2 teaspoons ground annatto
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 1/4 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 to 4 teaspoons horseradish depending on heat desired
- 1 to 4 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper depending on heat desired
- Place the pork and red wine vinegar and tamarind paste in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the spices, mixing as you add them one at a time. Knead until flecks of spice are evenly distributed through the sausage.
- Divide the sausage into thirds, and form into 3 logs; wrap each in parchment paper. Place wrapped sausage into a freezer bag before freezing, or store in refrigerator for at least 12 hours before cooking.