This is a very versatile Italian sausage which can be used in many different ways. You can take it from mild to hot and it’s very easy to use. If using ground turkey, you’ll have to coat your skillet with a little grease or oil before cooking as it has very little fat and will stick to skillet.
NAG-free Italian Sausage
A very versatile Italian sausage which can be used in many different ways. You can take it from mild to hot in a snap.
- 3 pounds ground pork chicken, or turkey
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon of ground mace
- 2 teaspoons ground annatto
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 1/4 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 to 4 teaspoons horseradish depending on heat desired
- 1 to 4 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper depending on heat desired
- Place the pork and red wine vinegar and tamarind paste in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the spices, mixing as you add them one at a time. Knead until flecks of spice are evenly distributed through the sausage.
- Divide the sausage into thirds, and form into 3 logs; wrap each in parchment paper. Place wrapped sausage into a freezer bag before freezing, or store in refrigerator for at least 12 hours before cooking.
You *CAN* use this right away; the flavors just won't be as evenly distributed.
PS: If you’ve found this post helpful, please consider supporting my work on this site. It’s so easy–and costs you nothing: Next time you want to buy something from Amazon, simply go to the Amazon site through one of my links or banner ads. No matter what you buy, I’ll get a small commission from your purchase–even if it’s not the item I’m advertising. Again, it adds nothing to your costs. So head to Amazon through one of the ads or affiliate links here (or just click here), and start shopping! Thank you so much for your consideration.