Around here, I am known for these ‘NOtatoes’, and killer gravy. Which makes sense, as those are my favorite foods.
Caramelized fennel bulbs with sauteed horseradish and lemon grass adds mellow sweetness to creamy mashed root vegetables flavored with truffle oil and Parmesan cheese.
Mashed Roots Gourmet
- 1 large celeriac root
- 1 lb parsnip
- 2 lb yucca/cassava root
- 1/2 lb white sweet potato
- 3 small fennel bulbs sliced
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken or Vegetable Broth warmed
- 1 1/4 cup grass fed Butter
- 1/2 cup each Plain Greek Yogurt and Cream Cheese
- 4 oz Parmesan/Romano Cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon truffle balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon truffle zest powder
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper & Sea Salt to taste
- Wash and quarter vegetables, keeping them immersed in cold salted water as you work.
- Put vegetables in a large pot filled with cold, lightly salted water and cover with a lid. Bring pot to a boil over a high heat and then reduce to medium boil for 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are easily pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, brown 2 tablespoons butter in skillet, add fennel bulb and cook on low until caramelized. Turn heat to medium and add horseradish and lemon grass, saute until fragrant. Remove caramelized fennel bulb and chop together with lemon grass and horseradish very finely.
- Drain vegetables through a colander. Transfer the boiled vegetables and caramelized mixture to an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle and mix at low speed to break up vegetables.
- Slowly add the butter, Greek yogurt, cream cheese, and grated Parmesan blend.
- Scrape down the side of the bowl and beat in broth (As needed), sea salt, pepper, truffle powder and truffle vinegar- continually adjusting seasoning to taste.
- Serve warm, with or without gravy.