Given that we have several smaller children, this recipe is on the menu almost once a week (which is killer for me, lover of variety, but hey, they eat it.) Every once in awhile, we will have guests, or eat mac-n-cheese elsewhere, and the kiddos are always confused about it being different.
NAG-free Macaroni and Cheese Royale
- 1 lb GF elbow macaroni (We like Tinkyada best)
- 1 cups cheddar cheese shredded, 1/4 cup reserved
- 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese shredded
- 1 12 oz. can Evaporated Milk (or heavy cream)
- 3/4 cup each: chopped broccoli diced carrots, chopped butternut squash
- 3/4 cup frozen chopped spinach defrosted and drained
- 1/2 cup spring peas
- 1 tsp horseradish finely minced
- 1 tsp lemongrass finely minced
- 1/3 cup caramelized fennel bulb chopped
- 1 tsp dry mustard or 2 tsp. prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup gf panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 tsp nag-free poultry seasoning
- Place uncooked macaroni in a large pot of salted boiling water and cook until *just on this side of raw* al dente (you don't want mushy overcooked pasta for this!)
- Spread macaroni in a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Top with spinach and peas.
- Toss broccoli, squash, and carrots with 1 tbsp oil, then spread evenly on a cookie sheet, roast slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan add butter and saute horseradish and lemon grass until fragrant, then add remaining ingredients.
- Add roasted vegetables to the casserole dish with noodle mixture; stir to mix.
- Stir cheese sauce over low heat until cheese is completely melted. Pour over noodle mixture.
- Top with reserved shredded cheese and then top with seasoned panko breadcrumbs cut with softened butter, if desired.
- Bake in 350°F oven 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Pre-packaged shredded cheese usually has corn/potato starch or cellulose added to prevent caking. I do recommend shredding as needed for this reason.