Forget potatoes! Luscious and creamy, this purée can be decadent with a touch of butter. Cooking the celery root in milk mellows the vegetable’s bite. However, if you prefer a more herbaceous flavor, substitute water for the milk.
Celeriac Cauli Mash
A creamy purée of celery root and cauliflower makes a for simple to prepare weeknight or holiday side.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower about 1 1/2 pound, cut into small florets
- 2 pounds celery root also known as celeriac (about 3 small)
- 2 cups radishes roughly chopped
- 3 cups sour cream plain greek yogurt may be substituted
- 1 1/2 cups broth can be vegetable, or creature of choice
- 1 teaspoon truffle powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 6 tablespoons grassfed salted butter 3/4 stick, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Peel celery root, dice cauliflower, dice radishes; place into a large pan and cover in broth.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover, reduce heat to medium low, and cook at a lively simmer until cauliflower can be easily pierced with a sharp knife and celery root starts to break up, about 17 to 20 minutes.
- Drain mixture through a colander, reserving liquid. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Add butter, sour cream, parmesan, truffle powder, salt, and pepper
- Process to a smooth purée; adding reserved liquid as needed, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary, about 3 minutes from start to finish.
- Taste and season with white pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately or reheat gently in a saucepan with some heavy cream to prevent it from drying. You can also reheat it in a double boiler.
PS: If you’ve found this post helpful, please consider supporting my work on this site. It’s so easy–and costs you nothing: Next time you want to buy something from Amazon, simply go to the Amazon site through one of my links or banner ads. No matter what you buy, I’ll get a small commission from your purchase–even if it’s not the item I’m advertising. Again, it adds nothing to your costs. So head to Amazon through one of the ads or affiliate links here (or just click here), and start shopping! Thank you so much for your consideration.