Ok, ok, I know. The whole gluten-free paleo food movement isn’t really your thing, and that’s totally fine! I won’t force feed you any particular diet plan or food choices. However, if you are trying to control your blood sugar, rice can be a hidden enemy! Enter: SUPER CAULIFLOWER!
JUST KIDDING! If you haven’t tried this yet, it’s worth the experiment.
Brown butter is just regular butter that has been heated until it browns. Sometimes called beurre noisette (which translates literally to hazelnut butter and is so named because it smells like hazelnuts and has a similar nutty color), brown butter has all the great qualities of regular butter, plus a nutty, toasted flavor that makes baked goods and sauces taste that much richer.So, you find a huge head of cauliflower at the grocery store. Cauliflower heads should be firm and tightly closed buds. White varieties should be very pale, with no dark “sunburned” spots. Skip any heads that show signs of softness, that’s the first stage of spoilage. (yuck!)
Once you get it home, (and wash that beautiful head, the cauliflower, not yours silly!) Chop it into flowerets or just pieces and chunk it into your food processor, now; you don’t want it to be mush, just cut into rice sized pieces.
Now, in your favorite skillet (non-stick, stainless steel, cast iron, whatever) brown some butter. (over medium heat, melt evenly sized pieces of butter, stirring regularly. It will begin to bubble and foam, this is NORMAL and what we want. As it bubbles, the water is leaving, and the milk proteins are browning, watch it carefully to avoid burning!) Butter will continue to brown when you take it off the heat, and perfect brown butter can turn into burnt butter in seconds.
Toss your ‘riced’ cauliflower into the pan and spread into an even thin layer. Stirring every few minutes until it’s nice and toasty colored. It WILL dry and shrink, so make more than you think you need!
Serve your family, friends, strangers, etc some amazing, healthy ‘rice’ along side your amazing main dish. Enjoy!
Brown Butter Cauliflower Rice
Healthy, nutty, and satisfying accompaniment to any main dish.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 Tablespoon grassfed butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Cut cauliflower into florets/large chunks.
- Place cauliflower in a food processor in batches and pulse until it is rice-sized.
- In a large pan, over medium heat melt butter cut into evenly sized pieces, stirring regularly. It will begin to bubble and foam, this is NORMAL and what we want. As it bubbles, the water is leaving, and the milk proteins are browning, (watch it carefully to avoid burning!)
- JUST before butter is the perfect shade of brown; add the cauliflower, salt, and pepper, stirring to coat thoroughly, and spread to a single even layer.
- Stirring every few minutes until it’s nice and toasty colored. It WILL dry and shrink.
- After about ten minutes the rice will start to brown on the bottom, so you may have to stir more frequently.
- Cook for a total of about 15-25 minutes; judging by the color. It should be hazelnutty to pecan in color!
- Serve your family, friends, strangers, etc some amazing, healthy ‘rice’ along side your amazing main dish. Enjoy!
PS: If you’ve found this post helpful, please consider supporting my work on this site. It’s so easy–and costs you nothing: Next time you want to buy something from Amazon, simply go to the Amazon site through one of my links or banner ads. No matter what you buy, I’ll get a small commission from your purchase–even if it’s not the item I’m advertising. Again, it adds nothing to your costs. So head to Amazon through one of the ads or affiliate links here (or just click here), and start shopping! Thank you so much for your consideration.