1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup GF naturally fermented fish sauce
2 tbsp tamarind paste
2 cardamom pods
2 Tbsp. kosher or canning salt
2 Tbsp. brown sugar or maple syrup
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lime juice (1 lime)
1 tbsp tamari
1 can (2oz) anchovies, minced
- Toast pepper, ginger, cinnamon, mustard, and clove in small skillet over medium heat, until fragrant, about 1 minute. This will release the flavor.
- Transfer spices to bowl so they do not burn and set aside.
- Combine vinegars, molasses, fish sauce, and tamarind paste together in second bowl.
- Return to saucepan on medium heat Bring to a boil for a few minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool for 1 hour.
- Pour mixture into a 1 quart canning jar, seal lid and store in a cool, dark place for at least 1 month (or longer for stronger flavors).
- Strain sauce through fine-mesh strainer; reserve solids.
- Puree solids finely, then dehydrate and store powder as a flavor booster.